Sunday, September 03, 2006

A New Introduction

I started this blog to post my thoughts as I evolve my philosophy. I want to post my thoughts on what I learned in my studies that day, so I may one day look back and guage how much or if my beliefs have changed. But in order to do that, I will need to post my beliefs and values before classes start. I also want to state what my goals are in respect to going to College, and see if that has changed as I progress. Since the latter goal is easier to say, I will state it first.
I want to complete a 1 year College course, and move on to University. I will then obtain a PhD in Philosophy and become a Philosophy Instructor.

Simple enough, let's move on with my beliefs and values. First of all, I am an Atheist. I believe that a personal god, as described in the Judaeo-Christian bible, does not exist. Not only that, but no gods or godesses have ever existed, except in those believers' minds. I also do not belive in ghosts, goblins, unicorns, werewolves, and Santa. Nor do I believe in supernatural "phenomena" such as ESP, psychics or auras. There are some so-called "scientific" or "medical" practices that I do not accept: Chiropractic, Homeopathic Medicine and many Alternative Medicine practices.

Here's what I do believe in: I believe that before one should accept any claim, they should do so after examining the evidence for that claim. I believe in critical thinking, and that extrodinary claims necessitate extrodinary evidence. I believe in Occam's Razor, that the simplest explanation is usually the best one. I know what empirical science is, and that is how I judge the merits of an argument. I want objective proof for any claims that I may be expected to consider.

The above are my current beliefs and philosophy. I am really curious as to if any of these beliefs will change over time, and I hope to document any doubts I may have on this Blog. I am especially curious as to whether I will remain an Atheist, or become an Agnostic. I hope to later give definitions on terms that some might not be familiar with, such as the difference between Atheism and Agnosticism. I also realise that my written English may not be up to par, it has been many years since I dropped out of High School. In fact, the one thing that I am counting on to change is my written English skills. ;)

Anyway, that is why I started this blog, and I hope I will soon have many people who will read it. One other thing before I end this, I am also new to the whole "Blogging" thing, so I expect that at first my blog will suck. I hope this will change soon as well. So, wish me luck on my Philosophical Journey, I hope I will survive it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home